Astron Drifter - Model Rockets in Woodstock GA

Model Rockets in Woodstock GA

Model Rocket Projects

Astron Drifter

This project is a build of the BMS - Astron Drifter, a clone of the Estes Drifter. I got the BMS kit for Christmas. I really liked the Drifter as a kid so I ordered some additional parts from Semroc so that I could build 2 Drifters at the same time. Below is a shot of the Astron Drifter from one of the old Estes catalog.

Photobucket

The BMS kit includes everything you need to recreate this great rocket except the decals so I ordered 2 sets from Excelsior Rocketry. Below is the BMS kit along with the extra parts I ordered from Semroc.

Photobucket

For the shroud I am using 100 lb. bristol board. 100 lb. weight may be a little on the thick side but if I get it to roll without creasing the shrouds will be nice and sturdy. I cut the strips that serve as the glue tab and glued them on the inner side of the shroud so that the seems will be flush.

Photobucket

The 2 shrouds are done and test fit pretty well into the body tubes.

Photobucket

The shrouds have been attached to the body tubes.

Photobucket

Here is a shot showing the seams. I will glue one of the fins on the seam so it will not show on the finished rocket.

Photobucket

For the fins I am using 1/16" basswood instead of balsa. One of the BMS clone die cut balsa fins is shown with the sheet of basswood below.

Photobucket

Here is a shot of the 6 fins. The BMS fin template did not fit my shroud-body tube joint as well as I wanted so I made my own on a piece of the bristol board. I used this new template as a guide to cut out the fins.

Photobucket

The fins seem to fit the body tube and shroud fairly well. I still need to sand the fins.

Photobucket

The fins are glued on and ready for epoxy fillets..

Photobucket

Fins being masked in preparation for the epoxy.

Photobucket

Fins and tube spirals covered with Elmers Carpenter's Wood Filler

Photobucket

Both rockets were primed with filler primer

Photobucket

Painting the rockets. The fins still need to be painted the same blue as the nose cones.

Photobucket

Here is a closeup

Photobucket

Masking off the white in preparation for spray painting the fins

Photobucket

Both rockets are painted and I am ready to apply the decals. The decals I ordered from Excelsior Rocketry arrived a while back. They do a great job making the decals and they will be the perfect finishing touch for my Drifters.

Photobucket

Photobucket



The decals are on and the Drifters look great.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket